- Community Economic Development
- Business Licenses
The City of Lacombe wishes to inform all business owners about some upcoming changes to our business licensing process in the new year. As of January 1st, 2023 we will be implementing an online system (partnering with Cocoflo Innovations) to apply for, manage, and renew business licences. This will allow business owners to easily access and complete the necessary forms and documents from the comfort of their own computers or smartphones, wherever they may be.
We would like to reassure all business owners that the new online licensing system will be easy to use and will increase efficiency and accessibility. We’ve worked hard to make the system user-friendly and intuitive, to modernize our services and deliver the best possible citizen experience. For those who prefer to manage their business licence(s) in person, this can still be done at City Hall.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we make these changes, and we encourage business owners to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your continued support of the City of Lacombe!
Obtaining a business license
The multi-step process is outlined below for applicants. For additional information and questions not covered in the material below please contact City Hall.
- An applicant must have all required permits in place ensuring Land Use Bylaws are adhered to.
- If you have a storefront/location within the City or are working from your home, contact our Planning and Development Department to obtain a Development or Home Occupation permit. Additionally, these documents can be downloaded online, filled out, and submitted to the Planning and Development Department.
- A business license is issued upon successful application and payment. Information on payment costs can be found on the City of Lacombe Business Licenses Rates & Fees page.
3 Types of Business Licenses
- Resident Business License for Commercial or Industrial businesses located in the City of Lacombe.
- Home Occupation for individuals conducting a business which is based from their home in Lacombe.
- Non-Resident business license for all others conducting business within the City of Lacombe that do not reside or have a location in the City.
- Renewals are sent out on an annual basis
- Licenses are valid from January to December of the year in which they are purchased. Business licenses with the City of Lacombe are continuous from year to year and billed in January unless notification is given to the City that you are no longer conducting business here. Penalties are applied to outstanding accounts that run past the due date.
If you wish to obtain a booth at the Lacombe Farmer’s Market your licensing is covered under the Markets licensing. Contact the Lacombe Farmer’s Market directly at 403 318-8678 firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your booth.
All other mobile businesses must register with the City of Lacombe for an appropriate business license. "Mobile business unit” means a motor vehicle, temporary structure or display, or stand from which a business is carried on and includes a Mobile Vending Unit or Canteen and Push Cart Vending Unit.