- Planning & Development Services
- R4 District Review
- Community-led Initiative
What is the process for the R4 Review?
The R4 District Review is a community-led project designed to gather necessary information for Lacombe City Council to make informed decisions on the future of this type of residential zoning. Any recommendations presented to Council for consideration will include the information gathered through the process outlined below.
The process is three parts, it began in 2021 and will run into early 2023 when Council will debate changes to the Land Use Bylaw:
- The survey and hearing from the public and landowners was the first step in 2021.
- Rather than responding to a pre-existing recommendation – the survey was designed to be open to collecting ideas and thoughts about the current R4 Land Use Bylaw district.
- The survey was a way to hear what landowners, the public, and investors in the community think before we move to the next step
- The next step, step two, was to conduct more indepth focus groups.
- Focus groups were a more in-depth conversation with individuals who wanted to share additional ideas or thoughts with the City, or individuals who have some expertise or experience that we would like to hear more about relating to R4 zoning and development. We were able to hear from the public, landowners, developers and builders, real estate professionals and also from staff and members of Municipal Planning Commission who have a role in approving development in Lacombe.
- These focus groups began in late 2021 and were conducted by a consultant group, Intelligent Futures
- The third step, after the survey and focus groups, included conducting planning research analyzing the current R4 district and considering the approach of other similar sized communities.
The City’s Planning and Development Department combined the results of the of consultation and research potion to draft proposed amendments to the Land Use Bylaw, which were included in a presentation to Council at the December 5, 2022 Regular Meeting of Council.