Spring Into Wellness Challenge
Runs April 1st to 30th, 2021
About the Challenge
We are launching a Spring Into Wellness Challenge to help you keep healthy which is especially important as people are quarantined or self-isolating. Eating right and being active can help improve your mental health. Exercise is a natural anti-anxiety treatment and releases endorphins to help improve your mood. Eating right can help keep your body strong to fight off diseases.
This is a 30 day challenge that has a specific task for each day that encourages a healthy lifestyle.
Register yourself and your family to join in this fun challenge to help keep you healthy. Email the names of participants in your household to firstname.lastname@example.org before April 1, 2021. Once registered you will receive weekly emails with more information on how to achieve the weekly goals.
Benefits of Being Healthy
Being active can increase your energy, reduce your risk for chronic diseases, and improve your mental health. According to the Canada Physical Activity Guidelines, adults should accumulate at least 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity per week in bouts of 10 minutes or more.
- Check out this website for more information on the Benefits of Physical Activity and tips to increase your activity.
- Physical Activity Guidelines
- Check out ParticipACTION for even more ways to get active.
- Eating fruit and vegetables are also important for your health. They are full of vitamins and minerals that help reduce your risk of diabetes, heart disease, certain types of cancer, and osteoporosis. Adults should eat between 7-10 servings of fruits and veggies every day in a variety of colours. Eat the rainbow.
Whole grains have many health benefits including a lower risk of diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure. Whole grains are high in nutrients and fibre which support healthy digestions. It’s easy to switch your refined grains for whole grains just be sure to watch for the word “whole” in front of the type of grain and check the ingredients to make sure they are entirely whole grain or a mixture of whole grains and refined grains.
Check out the Canada Food Guide for more tips on healthy eating.
- Drinking water helps your body stay hydrated as it is about 60 percent water. It helps with digestion, absorption, circulation, and more! Start off small by replacing some of your high sugar beverages with a glass of water. Did you know that drinking water can help treat and prevent headaches? Just one more reason to try to get enough water every day.
Make water your drink of choice click here to find out more.
- Sleep can affect many areas of your mental and physical health. It can affect your productivity, emotional balance, brain and heart health, immune system, and even your weight. It is recommended that adults get between 7-9 hours of sleep. Regular exercise can help reduce the symptoms of many sleep disorders.
Are Canadian adults getting enough sleep? (PDF)
Are Canadian children getting enough sleep? (PDF)